Sunday, July 4, 2010

Down But Not Out


The picture above is the aftermath of a bicycle accident in which I was a participant Friday morning on the the Capital Crescent Trail in Bethesda, Maryland.  I'm the guy face down on the right, that's my new (to me) Tommasini on the far right.

Being on a well traveled bike path that is popular with commuters, the accident got a bit of local coverage.  The circumstances of the accident, according to the Park Police:

"Sgt. Lauryn McNeill said it happened Friday around 8:30 a.m. She said a cyclist headed for the National Institutes of Health moved around two pedestrians and into the path of an oncoming cyclist. "

That oncoming cyclist would be me

In addition to scrapes and scratches, I escaped with a broken left collarbone, "8 or 9" (I guess they quit counting after a while) broken ribs and a little chip on a vertebra and was released from the hospital Saturday. The other chap apparently ended up in the intensive care unit in a coma with rather more serious injuries.  It was indicated to me that these are not life threatening and he should be released within several days.

It is an ill wind that blows no good.

14 comments:

James Black said...

I'm so sorry to hear it. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Rat Trap Press said...

That's horrible! I'm glad to hear that you're not in the hospital and that the other rider will survive.

Matteo said...

I'm sorry to hear about this, and I'm glad it wasn't any worse than it was. I wish you a quick recovery too.

robatsu said...

Thanks guys, I'm settling into my convalescence.

The worst part, due to broken ribs, is getting up from a prone position on bed or couch.

The best part is support of family and friends, including the blog readers here.

It has been said that one of life's luxuries is being a little bit sick. I think my injuries might be over the line a little, but I'm trying to enjoy whatever luxury my current condition offers.

I'm optimistic all will be well, although I haven't yet gotten any further details on the other rider.

Nathan E Griffin said...

From one bicyclist to another, "may your feet find pedals soon."

Living in Chicago, we so often hear about accidents involving cyclists & cars but rarely do we hear about accidents which are cyclist/cyclist.

Having only been riding here in the city for about six months, I'm still learning the 'way of the road' when it comes to cars but have never had much trouble with other riders.

I wish you both the best recovery.

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart, you poor thing. I am wishing a speedy and full recovery to both you and your bike. As both a paramedic and avid bike commuter I wish to thank you for sharing your story.

Unknown said...

Glad you're (mostly) okay. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

Get well and with little pain. Your site is nice and we need you back and running. Thanks

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Had a bad bicycle accident on April 1 that left me with a shattered knee cap which was an open fracture, a broken arm and 6 if my frin teeth all needed root canals because I hit a storm drain face first. I also needed plastic surgery on my lip. Who knew riding a bike could be so dangerous? Still recovering and wish you healing days ahead.

Apertome said...

Just found your blog, through the Rat Trap Press blog. Sorry to hear about your accident, I wish you a speedy recovery!

By the way, you do some beautiful bicycle work. Very impressive.

Unknown said...

Get Better Soon! My Commuting buddy had an accident this week too (solo though). Sorry about your bike but mostly glad your just ok!

http://rvabikecommuter.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

Im really sorry to hear it! I just recently got into cycling, and already had a near miss with a car driving in the bike lane I was in! Other than a few scrapes, Im OK. But, I now know the dangers of simply commuting one a bicycle!
I love your blog and hope you recover soon and fully!

polaris said...

I hope you are better now, Fuji Otaku-san. I've been following your posts on the Gran Tourer SE and it never occurred to me (until today) to check the recent postings. Very sorry to hear about your accident and I hope both of you recover fast.

Cruiser said...

Wow, rough accident! Sorry to hear about it, and best wishes for a full and quick recovery for you and all the other riders.