Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Grizzly Roars To Life

Regular readers of this blog may be wondering what ever happened to my 1988 Bianchi Grizzly that was nearly completed back in July.

The short answer is nothing at all happened, the bike has just been sitting in a corner.

Until today when I resolved to do the 30 minutes of work necessary (cable fitting mostly) to get this thing on the road. And my resolve was undaunted as I was then able to take this out for a short hop on some errands:


The biggest unknown for me was how would the drop bars work.  Periodically, I get tempted into making some sort of rugged duty, urban commuter/utility whatever out of a mountain bike.  This is all well and good until it comes time to actually ride it and I rapidly lose interest because of the flat bars.  I seem to be able to abide flat bars only in a true MTB situation.

So this time I decided to put on some drop bars and while it was only a short ride, I would give the geometry and feel a go at this point.

The stem shifters I installed are fun and quite convenient, but you have to be secure in your manhood (or just plain be in your senescence) to enjoy them:


This bike has bio-pace chain rings.  I couldn't really tell any difference in the feel between these and normal chainrings.  They still look utterly dorky, though.

Overall, I think the drop bars on this are a winner.  I haven't done much else to the bike so far because I wanted to ensure that I was ok with the drop bars before doing much other work.


1 comment:

Jon said...

I love drop bar mtb's. I built my first one in 1994, in honor of John Tomac's bike, from a few years before.

Never ran one with stem shifters, though. I might have to try that out, since i have about 20 of those shifters lying about.