Monday, February 16, 2009

Owner Of (Formerly) Purple Club Fuj Needs Help:

This just in:

"Not quite a pure classic, but I found this Club Fuji for $25 and built a bike for my brother.

I'm curious, I check out all the 1971 through 1991 Catalogues and do not see a Purple Club Fuji.
Any ideas about what year it is? My guess is early 1990s because it had Shimano RX100 down tube shifters on it when I got it rather than Suntour Components.

It had an EXTREME ISHIWATA sticker on the fork to designate tubing material. I read that ISHIWATA of Japan went out of business in the early 1990's.

The "Orig Frame.jpg" is how it was when I purchased it. Dark purple in color. The serial numbers didn't sync up with the reference points. Large numbers 20 82 (side to side), small number 54 (back to front). It fits the "serial numbers were not always logical in the late 80's/ early 90's.

Since I rebuilt it last March, my brother has logged over 800 miles on it. You'll see it serves as a commuter bike fenders & rack. Due to tight clearance of the "race bike" frame it, it required custom fenders. It really isn't much of a classic since it has modern Sora STI integrate shifters/brakes, Truvativ Crank, Shimano 600 Brakes, ARAYA 7000 wheels w/ Shimano 8/9/10 Speed Cassette Hub, etc. I

t appears Club Fuji was dropped in 1994, but I'm not 100% certain.
I have not seen a catalog from 1992 through 1994 time frame.

David & Cyndi
"

David, Cyndi,

First, thanks for writing. The 1990's are outside the area to which my knowledge of Fujis extends, so I can't really help you out, but maybe some readers will speak up. Surely yours is not the only one out there.

Fuji Otaku




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have the same purple club fuji bike. I'm sorry I can't give you any information about it - I'm new to the cycleing world and don't know anything about bikes yet. I picked mine up from a used by store in OR for $100 and I love it. I wish I could find out more about it. If you've dug up anything I'd love to hear it!

Unknown said...

A good resource with pictures of catalogs is

www.classicfuji.com

The 1991's are similar

Unknown said...

i have a purple club fuji just like yours but it is whole.(stock everthing except tires and tubes of course)it dosent say civo fuji though it says club fuji and it has shimano gears.